We all probably know the importance of taking care of skin on the outside, but what about taking care of our skin from the inside? There are so many vitamins and minerals that can help you achieve your skin goals - from radiance, to elasticity, to clearer skin overall. That’s why it’s so important to not only have a great skincare routine, but to also incorporate healthy foods and supplements into your diet to get glowing skin from within.
Skin-Loving Smoothie Ingredients
Keep these ingredients on rotation in your diet and your skin will thank you.
- Banana: B-Vitamins that protect against free radicals
- Pineapple: Rich in Vitamin C and an enzyme called bromelain that has anti-inflammatory properties
- Spinach: Full of Vitamins A, C, and K which help your skin’s natural barrier and enhance radiance
- Avocado: High in many healthy fats and Vitamin E and C to keep your skin healthy and protect from damage
- Raspberries: Full of antioxidants and Vitamin C, helping your skin maintain a youthful glow
- Coconut Water: Rich in Vitamin B3, B2 and Vitamin C which can help increase skin hydration and elasticity
- Chia Seeds: Loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants that help strengthen your skin, hair, and nails
Here are three yummy smoothie recipes that are full of these skin-loving ingredients to make you look and feel great, and perfect for a hot summer day.
Smoothie #1: Tropical Glow Smoothie
With fruits full of Vitamin C and Vitamin A, hydrating coconut water, and healthy fats like avocado, this smoothie will give your skin a juicy glow. Taken from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
- 1 cup chopped pineapple (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup chopped mango (frozen or fresh)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- Our optional, but recommended addition:
- 1 Tablespoon of collagen powder, like Vital Proteins
Smoothie #2: Berry Beautiful Smoothie
The mix of antioxidant rich raspberries and omega-3 rich chia seeds topped off with a sprinkle of cacao nibs makes this smoothie a great choice for chocolate and berry lovers alike. The high amount of antioxidants in this smoothie is great for reducing oxidative stress in the body and skin.
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 dates
- 2 cups water or milk of choice
- Sprinkle with cacao nibs to serve
Smoothie #3: Green Gorgeous Smoothie
Featuring tons of mineral rich greens, detoxifying lemon and fruits full of vitamins, this recipe adapted from Kimberly Snyder is no joke for glowing skin. It requires lots of ingredients, so make sure your blender is big enough to handle it!
- 2 cups coconut water
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (1 small head)
- 7 cups chopped spinach (1 medium bunch)
- 1½ cups chopped celery (about 3-4 stalks halved)
- 1 medium apple, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium pear, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium banana, peeled and cut in thirds
- 1/2 of fresh lemon, peeled and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh mint
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Drizzle of honey
- Sprinkle of bee pollen, to top
What’s your favorite smoothie recipe for glowing skin? Let us know in the comments below.