If you know us, you know we’re obsessed with coffee. Coffea Arabica Seed Extract is one of the superstar ingredients in many of our skincare products because we love its powerful benefits. Helping to achieve the glow you’ve always wanted, coffee in skincare helps to diminish the appearance of aging and dark spots.
It’s only natural that we love drinking coffee too! But did you know that coffee has lots of health benefits besides just helping you wake up in the morning? Today we’re sharing some of the reasons why a cup of coffee a day is great for you in addition to some healthy coffee-based recipes. Let’s be real - we could all use a little more energy in our busy lives. So before you make your next coffee run, check out all the health benefits you’re getting with every cup.
What are the health benefits of coffee?
While everyone loves coffee for its ability to help you perk up after a long night, did you know the coffee bean has a variety of benefits too? We did the research so you didn’t have to - so now you can feel good about drinking your daily latte.
- Coffee can help you burn fat
- Coffee contains essential nutrients
- Coffee may help you live longer
- Coffee is rich in antioxidants
- Coffee = happiness
How much caffeine should you have per day?
While coffee is full of health benefits, it’s important to note it should be enjoyed in moderation. Most experts and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend anywhere from 3 to 5 cups per day with a max intake of 400mg of caffeine. (An average 8 ounce cup of coffee has about 95 mg, according to Hopkins Medicine.)
Obviously, different types of coffee drinks have different amounts of caffeine. This website is very helpful in estimating your caffeine intake for popular coffee drinks.
Our favorite healthy coffee-based recipes
So now that we know the health benefits of coffee - here are some yummy (and healthy) recipes that incorporate this powerful antioxidant. Let us know if you try any of these!
1. Collagen latte
A latte that’s good for you and your skin? Sign us up. Here’s what you’ll need for this yummy recipe:
- 1 serving of your favorite collagen powder (we love any of the Collagen latte powders from Vital Proteins)
- Your preferred amount of non-dairy milk (coconut, oat or almond works well here!)
- 1 shot of espresso or coffee
How to make it:
- Froth or blend the collagen powder with the non-dairy milk. Set aside.
- Once coffee is brewed pour coffee over milk-collagen blend and stir to combine.
- Enjoy hot or pour over ice cubes if you prefer iced coffee.
These look delicious and only require a few ingredients. Coffee and chocolate? We’re on board. Here’s what you need for the recipe:
- 1 cup (140 g) raw cashews
- 3 tbsp (20 g) coffee beans
- 1 cup (225 g) packed. soft pitted dates
- 1/4 cup (35 g) finely chopped dark chocolate or vegan chocolate chips
And here’s how to make it:
- Place the cashews and coffee beans in a food processor and break down into a coarse, grainy flour. A few larger bites left behind are ok but it should be fairly fine overall.
- Add the dates and process into a thick, sticky dough. You should easily be able to pinch the mixture between your fingers. If it’s too crumbly (this can happen if your dates were too dry), add 1 tsp warm water and process again. Check to see if you can squeeze the dough together, if not, repeat 1-2 times as needed.
- Add the chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate and pulse a few times to mix throughout.
- Use your hands to roll the dough into 12 balls.
- Enjoy! Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to two weeks.
Perfect for mornings on the go or post workout! It’s also super easy to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 banana (fresh or frozen)
- 200 ml of non-dairy milk (almond, oat, or coconut)
- 1 heaped tbsp oats
- 1 shot of espresso
- 1 serving of your favorite chocolate flavored protein powder
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- Handful of ice cubes
To make this, place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Serve in a cute glass and sprinkle cacao nibs and coconut flakes on top for extra flavor.
Now that you know how we love to enjoy coffee on the daily, let us know how you incorporate coffee into your daily routine. And be sure to check out our caffeine-infused skincare products to get the benefits of this magic bean into your beauty cabinet, too!