September is here, so it's time to start thinking about your back-to-school skincare routine! Whether you're a freshman starting college for the first time or a seasoned pro, it's important to have a skincare routine that will keep your skin looking healthy and glowy all semester long. For high school students, this can be a time of transition as you start to figure out who you are and what you want in life. Along with finding your place at school, it's important to establish a skincare routine that will keep your skin looking good all year long. Here are a few tips to help get you started.
Back to School Skincare Tips for High School Students
- Start with a gentle cleanser to remove all the dirt and makeup from the day or start the day with a clean canvas; and use targeted treatment for acne if needed
- One of the most essential products in any good skincare routine is a great cleanser! Whether using it in the morning or evenings, you need a cleanser that can remove grime, makeup, SPF, pollution, and sweat. We also love a caffeinated face wash in the mornings to wake us up.
- If you are experiencing acne (what high school student doesn’t!), it’s best to visit the dermatologist for a prescription that will work for you in your skincare routine to target acne or acne-causing bacteria, which you can incorporate into your routine in the evenings.
- Follow up with a light moisturizer - your skin will thank you later
- For high school students, a simple lightweight moisturizer should do the trick every day to keep your skin hydrated and prepare your skin for makeup if you wear it.
- Apply sunscreen every day, even in the wintertime
- Start taking care of your skin now before the sun can do damage! Make sure you’re wearing SPF 30 or higher every day on the skin of your face chest and neck to keep your skin looking young and healthy, especially if you go outside during the day for lunch or gym class.
- Drink plenty of water and get enough sleep to keep your skin looking its best
- High school is a challenge - no one is denying that! But be sure to drink at least 8 cups of water per day to keep your skin and body hydrated and get at least 7 or 8 hours of sleep every night because this is a crucial time in your body and brain’s development! Getting adequate sleep and hydration when you're young are good habits that will take you well into your adult life.
- Don't forget to take care of your eyes - use an eye cream every night
- Example Skincare Routine for High School Students:
- Morning: Cleanse, Moisturize, Eye Serum/Cream, SPF
- Evening: Cleanse, Acne Prescription if needed, Moisturize, Eye Serum/Cream
Back to School Skincare Tips for College Students
- Double Cleanse when wearing heavy makeup
- While college definitely means lots of late nights studying and cramming for exams, it also might give you your fair share of some nights out on the town! If you like to wear heavier makeup for nighttime outings, definitely be sure to get in the habit of double cleansing so you can ensure your skin is actually clean and ready for the rest of your skincare routine. You can either use the same cleanser twice or use an oil cleanser followed by a foaming or cream cleanser.
- Use an eye cream to reduce the appearance of dark circles and wrinkles
- The best way to look wide awake for those early-morning classes after a late night is a combo of eye cream or serum and a really good concealer. An eye cream will help soothe puffiness and reduce the appearance of dark circles so you look like you got a full night’s sleep. Be sure to bring some under eye masks to keep cool in the fridge for extra depuffing action.
- Exfoliate your skin once or twice a week to remove dead cells
- Exfoliating is definitely an essential part of any skincare routine; at least once a week to speed up the turnover of cells and remove dead skin cells that sit on the skin's surface and clog pores. Depending on your skin type you might prefer a physical exfoliating scrub or a chemical, peeling-type exfoliant. Experiment to see what works for you!
- Use a targeted treatment or serum for your specific skin concerns
- Late nights and stress from studying for hard tests might cause a breakout or two along with dull skin. Make sure to bring a skincare serum or treatment that’s targeted for your specific skin concerns along with your other skincare products to stop dull skin in its tracks. We love a Vitamin C serum for the morning to enhance your natural glow or a firming serum to perk up fine lines and wrinkles for smooth, plump skin.
- Example Skincare Routine for College Students:
- Morning: Cleanse, Serum and/or Moisturizer, Eye Serum/Cream, SPF
- Evening: Cleanse (Double Cleanse if wearing heavy makeup), Serum/Treatment, Moisturizer, Eye Cream
Whether you’re in high school or college, taking care of your skin is important. Between long days in the library and all-night cram sessions, it can be tough to find time for a full skincare routine. But with a little bit of planning and some shortcuts, you can keep your skin looking its best all year long. Hope you found our tips for creating a back to school skincare routine that fits into even the busiest schedule useful! How do you take care of your skin during the school year? Let us know in the comments!